Monday, January 12, 2009

The Lords Day in a New Land

Well, I know that I just posted, but I thought I would add one more for the day to complete out the prior weekend.

After a somewhat more restful night Saturday, Charity and I awoke to a very cold Sunday morning. The temp didn't hit 25 Fahrenheit all day! Thankfully we only had to walk our usual 2 blocks to Seoul Christian and down to the basement.

Now, I have been to services where there were some people singing off key. I have even been in services where people were singing the wrong song or wrong verse of the same song. But I have never been to a church where those who speak Korean sing the Korean language and those who speak English sing the English language. It really works out extremely well, except at the end of every stanza the vowel or consonant sound would be different.

Notwithstanding, the fellowship with the Korean people and the other American natives was very sweet. People had been praying for us and let us know how glad they were that we made it.

So the service starts with the basic movements of worship with Bible reading, memory verse, songs, announcements, introductions and good morning handshakes, the message (English with Korean translation) and finally a time of commitment and reflection. A very complete example of the true means of worship.

After the morning service, there is a time of fellowship and "breaking of bread"--rather Moon Pie types of cakes, sweet breads and from one of the Air Force Americans Double Stuff Oreros! There is a Bible study and although I would have like to have stayed, my lingering sickness coupled with, I am sure, the lack of sleep and the Korean medication, had me almost lying down during fellowship in an attempt to sleep. I will have to go next week and report. :o)

After several hours of sleep-which I hear is a cardinal sin for those suffering from jet-lag-Charity and I spent the evening playing cards and visiting with Lisa and Mylinda at their apartment.

All in all, a wonderful Lord's Day.


On a more personal note. I am sure that I am not setting any records on the alacrity of keeping this updated. Nor am I winning a Pulitzer for my writing skills. And more than likely Blogger is not amazed at the 16 followers this blog has in its short existence, but I would like to say both how grateful and truely blessed to know that you all are reading these short snippets of life. Knowing that you are disappointed when there are no new updates and eagerly taking in my humble writings as they hit the page. Charity and I have felt the warmth of your company even these many miles away and have appreciated you attention.

Good night from Seoul.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you're not having too much trouble adjusting to Korea! It's good to be able to keep up with you all, even when you're on the other side of the world. How thankful we are for modern technology! :)

    If Daniel is the one who sees this, tell Charity hello from me. If Charity is the one who sees this - Hello! I think about you pretty frequently, and I'm praying for you. Both. :D Thanks for letting us in on your life!

    Alicia McClurg

    ReplyDelete

Please, if you have enjoyed reading and have a thought to share, please leave it here.

Thanks,
Daniel and Charity Moorehead

Subscribe!