Friday, January 16, 2009

Reflections

The classroom. I sat there in watching my wonderful wife teach one of her classes and was noticing both similarities and differences between here in Korea and schools back home.

First, let me show you our classroom:


The first picture here is just the entrance to our shares classroom.








One of two views from our window








The left-front of the classroom.








And the back-right...










All those to give you an idea of the place I spend my eight hours a day....


Anyway, several things about the students are the same. The girls sit in groups and laugh as all slightly uncomfortable, young teenagers do. Subjects such as who is cute, best sales in the area and noticing clothes and new accessories.

The boys display the testosterone that now pumps through their unsteady veins by bumping into each other in the halls and punching each others arms. Some of them verbally spar in and out of the classroom to release their minor aggressive tendencies.

The main difference I have noticed is that they desire the common good though. While they do vie and compete for grades and the top of the class, they will also look to help each other out and improve all the grades for everyone else.

Lastly, they are just like every other person on this planet: The Path of Least Resistance is the most desirable choice. Taking the easy road is exactly what they want. No surprise that sin and human nature reach all the way across cultures and language! It is sad to notice all at once that my students share the same sickness that make me as human as they are.

Lastly, while I never expected teaching to be an easy job. It is a sacred trust between school, teacher and student. It has shown to b and e more and more difficult. Maybe it is because I have been teaching such subjects and Algebra, Pre-calculus and Geometry that I am realizing a very interesting new concept. People are not variables but huge banks of equations with hundreds of variables. To make it even more interesting, I think the variables are in a constant state of change. To me this means that I have to continually adapt to the people especially if I hope to mold them into something usable to the King. It is what someone had to do for me so it has to be something I learn to do for others.


On a more personal note, please be praying and thinking of my mother. She has gone through a terribly operation that is going to have her in and out of the hospital for physical therapy over the next 6 weeks.

Also, I am feeling much better now that the bronchitis has tapered off and the jet-lag is almost non-existent.

Till next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, if you have enjoyed reading and have a thought to share, please leave it here.

Thanks,
Daniel and Charity Moorehead

Subscribe!