Friday, January 30, 2009

Samseong THUNDER!!!!


So, we needed something to do over the Lunar New Year break.  I really did nothing all that interesting all break long...until Tuesday.  Tuesday, most of the teachers, Charity and I went to a Korean Basketball League game.  I really wish I knew the name and location of the other team.  The team we cheered for was the local Samseong (pronounced "Som-Song") Thunder.

(if you want to see all the pictures you can go here, I will however show you a few of the highlights...)

Personally, I found the fact that we were at the Seoul Olympic Complex at Songpa-gu, Seoul, to be somewhat monumental.  According to a very limited research (me on the internet) there have been 8 Olympics in the USA- 4 summer and 4 winter.  They were at St. Louis (1904), Los. Angeles (1932 & 1984), and Atlanta (1996) for the summer and Lake Placid (1932 & 1980), Squaw Valley (1960) and Saly Lake City (2002) for the winter.  All those, and I have never been to the historical locations after the games had come and gone.  

I know that was a sidetrack, but hopefully a...somewhat educational one.  The point really is that I enojyed the historical aspect of the location.  Now on with the game...

Here is a quick peak at a couple of the outside shots:




While certain aspects of the experience were very similar to basketball games in the states I thought this guy was humorous...


You might not be able to tell on the video but he was wearing a full suit and tie and he has on white gloves.  I have to say his level of animated actions were awesome!

The "cheerleaders" on the other hand were really nothing much more than entertainment at time outs, half-time and mini-events.  Although they did do this which was entertaining but probably not for the reason they thought it was going to be...



The game was pretty good but the experience was way better.  Both Korean and English come out of the loudspeakers and tunes that I knew being sung in a different language probably using different words.  Overwhelming at a few times but totally wonderful most of the rest of the time.  I really wish I knew the language...

After the game we went to On the Border (yes it is American, but it was still really good) and because of the size of the group we got a nice big room in the back.  And while I can make a lot of comments about the various whimsical and slightly silly but I think this does speak volumes about how observant we Americans are.  See if you can figure out what I am talking about...



If your guess was "why didn't you guys hang your stuff up, they provded hangers" then you can see what we missed in our excitement for burritos, enchiladas and refried beans...


Well that is about all I have for now.

Bye for now...

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I'm Larry Fitch. My wife and I taught at SCS (2003-2007). I've enjoyed following your blog. Your accounts remind me of our first impressions and experiences in Seoul.
    The name of the other basketball team is the KT&G Kites from Anyang.
    All the sports teams in South Korea are sponsored/owned by major corporations(chaebol).
    I hope you continue to have a positive experience as you seek to serve the Lord there in Korea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the insight. Kites from Anyang. I will have to file that away in info for the next game (I really hope to see another one soon!)

    ReplyDelete

Please, if you have enjoyed reading and have a thought to share, please leave it here.

Thanks,
Daniel and Charity Moorehead

Subscribe!